Unbisqued Pieces.

 I tested out paper stencils that I cut out for this bowl. mixing a shade of pink underglaze and layering it onto the inside of the bowl, letting it dry each time before adding a new layer (on another bowl later I got impatient and now have to go in and fix up the underglaze) I draped a slab over a bowl form and focused more on decoration and attachment for this. For the bottom I used two different clays with differing colors but with about the same drying rate and the same cone (6) and shrinkage rate. 

 I was thinking Alfred Hitchcocks "Vertigo" for this one and            tried to emulate the jagged style of the original posters lettering     but putting that sales into the spiral itself. 

For the bottom I wanted a kind of gradient of color with several different design elements that create a wavy/spiraling feeling. 

 I think I'm going to just use clear glaze to preserve the pink color as much as I can. Depending on the bisque I might do another coat of pink before it gets glazed.

I don't think I'll put underglaze on the waves on the bottom of the bowl to see how the glaze interacts with the form.




I started this bowl as two different pieces and somewhere along the way I connected the two
With this piece I got impatient with underglaze and possibly attachment and it shows in the photos. I'll need to re-mix the colors and repaint after I reattach. Things like this remind me to slow down and be more careful before whether the piece breaks before the bisque (when I might still be able to fix it) or after (chance of fixing are slim after the bisque or glaze firing in my experience). 

I might choose a black glaze on the bottom of the piece when it comes out of the bisque (if I can fix the attachment) and a clear to cover the top. 

The ice cream part is hollow so it might make a good little compartment but even if the glaze is food safe I imagine it would be used as a trinket bowl or decoration. I want to darken the fudge on top at least three shades so that it reads better as ice cream. 





sad little broken bowl


                                The Broken piece.                                         The inside of the Ice Cream 



The heart bowl was an attempt to make something cute and simple so that I could focus more on the glazing process. I'm not quite sure what color I want it to be but I know I'm not going to underglaze before or after bisque unless I change my mind. If I do change my mind I'd probably just color red in both of the heart designs. I might mix a burgundy shade. I love that color and would enjoy the heart/burgundy mix. I think I'll try to make the foot more even if I can.      


Some of the shapes I practiced with. Admittedly the egg was supposed to be a flower but when I was underglazing it I thought it would be more interesting as an egg so I did a 180. I imagine it to be a tiny trinket dish/plate for something like rings. The star went through several different versions before the end at just a little container. It went from flat Christmas ornament to lidded container to lidless container. The heart I will probably underglaze since I might not with the bowl. I alway find myself making heart shaped things and am looking to make a heart-shaped mug (as impractical as it might be).                                
outline and coverup glaze templates used.

Comments

Popular Posts